Joint Project Activity Report
1. What activities have been carried out by the partnership in the past school year?
The project activities, which have taken, place within the participating institutions:
- Questionnaires for parents about safety in the school
- Questionnaires for pupils about safety in the school
- Protocol for teasing
The transnational mobility activities of staff and pupils:
- Conferences with the staff for the project in October 2004 (Czech) and April 2005 (Romania)
- Study visit staff The Netherlands to the Czech Republic in February 2005
- Teacher exchange of 6 staff from the Netherlands to the Czech Republic in February 2005
- Teacher exchange of 4 staff from England to the Netherlands in March 2005
- Teacher exchange of 2 Czech Republic staff to England in June 2005
Explain what went well or less well than expected and why.
Questionnaires November 2004:
Holland: not many parents responded. We have made an adaptation for the changing rooms before and after gymnastics with the showering. The problem was to get the protocol translated
England: of course no problems with translation. Safety in and around school has become a big issue. They have got 11.000 euro to improve things. This is used to renew the entrance and construct a security fence. There were already a lot of protocols in school. It was hard to keep in touch with the Rumanian school. E-mail was only possible via Ingrid.
Czech Republic: had the same problems with the translation as the Dutch.
More discussion about safety came into the school. Here also not many parents responded, there were not many problems. It was positive to discuss about it with the pupils, it developed the self-consciousness and responsibility aspects. It was hard to come to conclusions from the questionnaire results.
Rumania, the same problem, not many parents responded, and here also parents didn’t feel that there were many problems. They had a talk with the police. Children feel safe inside the school, but unsafe outside.
Positive outcomes from the project were to get to know other countries and to learn how to use the Internet. They want to involve the pupils more in the project. Children are not used to completing questionnaires and not all the children understand what the problems are. Here also the positive benefits were through talking with the children to develop their self-consciousness, respect and responsibility.
2. What kind of product(s) have been produced in the course of the past school year?
Which of these are "joint" project results and which have been produced separately by the participating institutions? - teasing protocols – results and conclusions of the questionnaires – website www.comeniussafeschool.nl with reports, documents, photographs, links to other websites for safety – CD - DVD
How have these products been disseminated and to whom, both within and outside the partnership? By the website and by E-mail and mail to ourselves and other schools and institutions.
How were they received? They were received very well.
3. How effective was the collaboration between the participating institutions?
How was the distribution of tasks agreed and progress monitored? After the meeting in October by E-mail, website and mail.
How was the communication organised? By E-mail, mail, telephone and fax.
What communication language(s) has/have been used? English
Were there any major obstacles to a satisfactory cooperation? See point 1.
How have these obstacles been overcome, if at all? It was not a real problem.
How important were the staff mobility activities? In spite of the problems in the second half year with the exchange of the protocols, in schools there were lots of discussions about safety in school.
How important were the pupil mobility activities? Not planned
4. Has the partnership undertaken any joint evaluation of project activities and progress made?
If so, what are the main conclusions and consequences of this evaluation?
We are satisfied about this year and in the final conference we have made new plans for next school year:
Plans for next school year:
For the third year we arranged a meeting in October:
- It will be in Holland from 6 till 11 October.
- The yearly calendar will be sent by Email, so everybody can fill in the holidays and extra important dates.
- What to do: design lessons about health, safety, social-emotional behaviour for the ages from 4 till 15. Make a format and exchange the lessons. Where possible make couples from different countries to exchange good ideas. Making videos, pictures and drawings. Also topics such as drugs, safety rules, fireworks, according the Comenius principles (1 picture can tell you more than a thousand words)
- Closing activity in the third year: designing a safe school, with a Marquette, posters, videos or PowerPoint presentations.
- Also designing a game about safety.
- A joint brochure about smoking and drugs or the positive and negative things about school rules. Every school will make 2 or 3 pages using the same format.
Does the partnership wish to continue its cooperation, within a Comenius project or otherwise?
England: want a new project, new partners, would like to be the co-ordinating school, maybe a project about ICT?
Czech Republic: has to think about it
Rumania: new project, maybe a language project or a school project
Holland: school project, new partners maybe Portugal, Sweden, Ireland, Belgium, a.o.
Partners can be found via the website www.eun.org (There is a link on the comeniussafeschool website)